Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All the bases. All of them. Every. Single. One.

Last night we took Honey to a shamanic healer and he gave her an Ayurvedic Analysis. He took some of her hair and looked at the structure; I think to determine if anything was out of balance and then infused her collar with some mantras targeted at the physical areas of her body she’s having trouble with (nose, mouth, skin, feet). I don’t totally understand how it works but Ayurveda literally translates to ‘knowledge of life’ and the goal is to help her body restore itself using mantras and specific chants, whose energy is held in her collar. We used the collar Fiona gave her for Christmas, and when I told my dad his only response was “well, you do live in LA”. I guess Honey is now truly a southern California dog.

This morning her face was really bothering her and she kept trying to paw at it. its so awful when she does that – she keeps opening it up and bleeding and there’s just no way to explain to her that she’s hurting herself more, and I don’t know that she feels it as pain or just discomfort, but evidently its not enough of a deterrent to stop her from pawing. It would be really funny is it wasn’t so sad – “honey – stop that, you’re killing yourself. Really, have a little foresight” I feel bad that we have to yell to get her to stop it, like I’m a total monster because I’m scolding a hurt dog.

Cameron took her to the vet while he went to an audition this morning, because we can’t leave her alone or she scratches at her face. He said she was feeling ok this afternoon, which makes me happy because I was afraid we were going to have to up her meds again. On a related note, I’m not posting pictures of her any more because she looks really awful – out concerns about her face are about preventing infection, and it basically looks like one massive sore. I’m sure the scar tissue is going to be significant, as her lips are already tighter where they’re raw. I promised her I wouldn’t post photos of her that I wouldn’t want posted if it was me, and I’m also a little concerned about freaking people (MY MOM) out, so if you’re wondering what bad side effects (she’s being used in the vet’s book for an ‘this is how awful it can look’ example) from radiation look like, I can email you a picture.

1 comment:

the Jordan Love team said...

Honey doesn't really eat pinkberries... does she? Wow, you really are raising a So Cal dog there.

I realize that I'm probably off base since I don't know her allergies, but have you tried cottage cheese? and/or plain boiled soy beans?
Since you have no soy on the list I'll assume it is an allergy, but you have at least two dairy like items ("like" because kraft singles aren't really cheese - are they?). Anyways. We have used both of those before for various food problems between our 3 pups.

You guys are superstars for taking such amazing care of your dog. Really, you've had a ton of curveballs thrown at you and you keep an amazingly good spirit and you both seem to have an inspiring amount compassion during it all. We can't wait for her to all to heal so there can be happy, healthy, and playful Honey posts(& pics)!